Custom Search

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tea Parties

Have you ever been to a tea party?  I can't say I have, but I have been to a tea house.  Dainty sandwiches, fruit and veggies, and of course petit fours and small cookies.  Mmmmm...

I first heard about today's "Tea Parties" just 2 days ago.  I know!  I know!  I live with my head in a sandbox!  I would love to say I'm a well-informed wife and mother, but to tell the truth I'm more likely to know what the exact cost of a grocery item is than what is going on in current events.  A sad state of affairs, I admit, but it is too true.


So I heard about these Tea Party events and looked up the one here in Atlanta.  Here is what they said...
The Atlanta Tax Day Tea Party is one of the hundreds of the Nationwide Tax Day Tea Party Protests. These Tea Parties started as a way to express outrage over stimulus spending, special projects or "Pork Projects," and increased taxes. Currently, there are over 500 Tax Day Tea Parties planned across the country on April 15th.

In Atlanta, the demonstration will begin at 7:00 pm in front of the Steps on the State Capitol.


Sounds good, except...I have a 3 year old. At 7:00 pm I need him to be in his jammies and getting ready for bed. And I hate to admit I cannot afford to hire a sitter for an event like this, but we can't. Not with The Rev going out on his own right now. Not with the economy like it is. Catch 22, right? I need to support this effort, but I can't afford to be there!

I'm wondering what others think about this Tea Party idea! Did you attend one? What did you think? How are they going to affect what we do in the future?

And finally, can these Tea Parties bring about more knowledge of The Fair Tax? Now THAT would be a worthwhile outcome!

Tell me what YOU think about these Tea Parties!


5 comments:

Me (aka Danielle) said...

You've got me intriqued. I have to admit, when I think of tea parties I imagine dainty sandwiches and such. I have heard murmurings of these Tea Parties all over blogdom and Facebook though. I guess I need to do a little more research!

Swizz said...

UPDATE: Heard on the radio this morning that Atlanta's Tea Party (which I've been told means Taxed Enough Already) was the LARGEST one in the nation. You go, Atlanta!

backwoods conservative said...

I haven't been able to attend any of the tea parties but I have been keeping up with them, as most of my time on the internet is spent hanging out on some conservative blogs. This is truly a grassroots movement. A lot of people are getting fed up with the insane spending spree the government has been on and they're determined to put a stop to it.

I heard of one California politician who showed up at a tea party and got asked to say a few words. When he got to the podium the M.C. lit into him for voting in favor a California's recent 16 billion dollar tax increase.

Swizz said...

A little bait and switch there! I totally agree that our representatives need to be held accountable. I don't know what the ultimate answer is...term limits, benefit limits, budget (their own for their staffs, etc) limits...

It's sad that politics has become so negative that "the people" don't want to become representatives of "the people" because the experience would be so heinous.

Matt said...

I went to last month's Tea Party where I live in Cincinnati, but couldn't make yesterday's because I had to work, so I feel your frustration. I wish that I could have been there though... I think that they are important, and hopefully through them at least some change (good change, not "Hope and Change") can be enacted.