Custom Search

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Infertility, adoption, and kiddos (part 4)

If you'd like a refresher or just need to catch up, go HERE, HERE, and HERE !

So we'd made the decision. We had the list of tests we needed to have done before they'd see us at the clinic. Off we went to my ob/gyn.

Blood tests (LOTS of them, at different times of the month) - Check.
Physical exam - Check
HSG test...

Now THAT is a story. The Scary, HORRIBLE, HSG test (hysterosalpingogram)...a test to see if your tubes are open.

We scheduled the test for a day when The Rev could be there with me. They said to take some Advil before the test because I might have some cramping following the test.

We showed up at the hospital, excited and ready. I'd taken the Advil and couldn't wait to see what my insides looked like close up! They got me prepped and on the table. Turned the screen toward me so I could watch, and the doc began.

(For those of you who don't know, an HSG test consists of a catheter being put in the uterus and dye being injected in while x-rays are being taken. The dye flows into the tubes to show how open they are. Or at least that's how it's SUPPOSED to happen...)

The doc inserted the catheter (OUCH!) and began to put the dye in.

I thought I was going to explode. Or implode. Or just die of pain right there on the table. It was the worst pain I've EVER felt in my life. And now that I've given birth, I can actually say it was worse than childbirth.

I screamed. Just like the women you see on the childbirth stories on the Discovery Channel. Loud, panicky screams.

And then the catheter fell out.

The doctor said one of my tubes was blocked but he thought he could get it open. Would it be all right if he just did it one more time?

WHAT!?! I've just been through the most horrible, painful experience and you're ASKING ME if you can do it AGAIN!?!

Just do it. Don't ask. Get. It. Over. With.

He did and it opened.

In the meantime, I screamed and cried. I think it lasted like an hour. Or two. (Okay, maybe a few minutes, but who's counting?)

All the while The Rev was sitting in the waiting room down the hall listening to me scream. Helpless. Not knowing what was going on.

When it was over they took me out and let me get dressed. I almost passed out. I was a wreck for the rest of the day.

When we were on our way home I called my twin sister to give her the news of the tube and all that had happened.

"I'm sorry that happened. The exact same thing happened to me. All of it! The catheter even fell out and had to be put back in. I didn't want to tell you because I was afraid it would scare you too bad and you wouldn't go through with it."

#$!@$%#@!

In my opinion, humble as it is, they should have knocked me out for that test. Plain and simple. If there's ever a next time, I'd better be two sheets to the wind before they ever get near me. Or I sue. :o)

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Yikes! I'm scheduled to have one of these in a few weeks -- thanks for the heads up!!!

Swizz said...

PJ, I recommend some good drugs. NOT Advil! Ask if you can have a Valium or two...or even be given twilight.

Once I spoke up about MY experience, others have told me similar experiences. Our younger sis did it, though, and had NO pain. Go figure!

I DO NOT want to scare you, but I do want you to go in prepared...unlike I did.

Let me know how it goes! ;o)

ThatsBaloney said...

Ok - so was it natural childbirth? Because then I would understand.
I never did that test but have had other fun doctor experiences in that vicinity involving great amounts of pain.
I still can't believe you actually screamed though. REALLY!??? I've never screamed. I'm more the suffer in silence type. :)

Swizz said...

Baloney...it WAS natural childbirth. WIthout the baby. :o)

Alena, so glad you like it! Thank you for your sweet comments. If you ever change your mind please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

I also take suggestions for topics you'd like to see discussed!