Custom Search

Monday, June 1, 2009

Missional Monday & Hurting Hearts...


Missional Monday with a purpose:

Around 5:30pm yesterday I got a phone call from my next door neighbor. She was hysterical and screaming that I needed to get to the pool because a little boy had drowned. "You know CPR!"

I grabbed the car keys, yelled at The Rev where I was going, and raced to the car. I didn't even grab shoes. I pulled out of the driveway and saw my neighbor's husband working in the yard...I yelled for him to get in and we raced to the pool.

By the time we got there 2 people were performing CPR on the child. They were doing good compressions, so mostly I coached them on not stopping and helped when he was sick.

EMS arrived a few minutes later and we put him on a stretcher and they ran. I was a nervous wreck all evening, and couldn't sleep until the wee hours from the adrenaline.

I just got an email confirming that the little boy, Trey, did not make it. He looked to be about 3 or 4. No one knew how long he had been in the water...he was at a birthday party for his cousin and we believe he had taken off his flotation device.

I beg of you parents, PLEASE, PLEASE watch your kiddos at the pool. Even if they can swim, know where they are at all times. And if they CANNOT swim...get them lessons! Even a 6 month old can be taught to come up to the surface and float on their back if they end up in a body of water. It may be expensive, but it will be some of the best money you can spend. (Google survival swimming in your area to find qualified instructors.)

And finally, learn CPR. It took a minute or two before people stepped in to do CPR, and there wasn't a consensus as to compressions and breaths. Contact your local Red Cross or your local hospital's education department.

Red Cross Preparedness programs in first aid, CPR and AED are available for any age and can be tailored to the needs of specific groups and individuals. Whether you work with children, want training for employees, are a professional rescuer, or simply want to know how to help someone in an emergency, the American Red Cross has a program for you.


I pray no parent ever has to go through what Trey's family is going through today.

5 comments:

Jill said...

How horribly sad!! I am glad you were there to offer help! I will keep this family in my prayers!!

ThatsBaloney said...

That's awful. As a pool owner, it is my worst nightmare. It's part of why I don't like to have others over to swim.

One of my friends here helps with SafeKids and they recommend a necklace that the adults trade out while watching the pool. The wearer of the necklace does not participate in coversations, etc. and only watches the pool. Keep rotating the necklace so everyone can have a good time.
I think it is a great idea.

DRJ said...

How tragic. I'm sure it was hard to revisit this experience but thank you for posting this important reminder.

I'm also grateful for Baloney's comment about the necklace. It's a great idea -- like a Designated Driver for pools.

Swizz said...

My heart is still hurting. I trust a big God, but my head keeps saying, "if only"...

I found out today he was 5 1/2, just small for his age.

Mom said...

We're working on me leaving a comment. Let me know if you got this. Love, Mom