Custom Search

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Schooling

It's that time of year. The preschool has handed out the registration packets for next year...and they want the packets (could they be 50 pages?), a check for registration, a check for school supplies for next year, and a check for May 2011 tuition.

Decisions, decisions...

OH, and I thought I wanted JMonster to go 3 days again next year, but 4 year olds MUST go 4 days. No 3 day classes. I can send him to the 4 day program and just not send him on Mondays, but is that fair to him?

So it all comes down to this: I've always wanted to home-school JMonster. Preschool has been a way to socialize him in a non-threatening way. It's been a way to deal with some of the issues that go with Sensory Integration Dysfunction (although we didn't know what it was when we initially made the decision to send him...just that he NEEDED it.) But eventually we have always intended to keep him at home for his education.

The Rev and I think (deep breath) that we will NOT be sending JMonster to preschool next year. We talked with him about it and he wants to stay home. He would rather do gymnastics, ice skating, music classes, etc (which are not in the budget with the cost of preschool)...although he says he will be sad and miss it, but not so much that he wants to go back.

Preschool has been wonderful for helping JMonster with SID. It helped us get his diagnosis in the first place! I pray that this decision won't be one I regret for him.

If I do, at least it's just preschool.

How much can I screw up a 4 year old? ;o)

Does anyone with a child with SID have any suggestions? Input? I'm all ears!

4 comments:

Krause said...

My wife home schooled out twins for most and first and all of second grade while we lived in Manhattan (NYC public schools were down right scary). Don't fool yourself - it's daunting. But it can be right for some people. As soon as we got out to the suburbs, though, my wife was anxious to get them back in public school, and it's been great for the kids and the wife ever since.

I don't really know if your desire to homeschool is related to JM's condition or just a general disposition on your part. But generally, I think public school is good for kids. After all, you and I both came out OK...

Shannon said...

Hi! Found you through twitter. My son, now 8, was diagnosed with SID at age 3. We did preschool that year and the next and began homeschooling at age 5. We love homeschool and it was a better fit for him than a traditional school setting. It's not for everyone and it can be challenging, but as I see him growing up so fast, I wouldn't take anything for having him home with me the last 4 yrs. The individual time/attention has beebgreat for the SID along with OT, gymnastics, etc. A lot of your decision will be based on your preschool, your son's personality and needs, and your personality. I personally loved doing preschool at home and making all those precious memories...lots of cuddling, reading, playing, nature walks, etc. You'll want a good h-school support group with chances to do things with other kids his age - and Moms for you to connect with. Hope this helps!

Swizz said...

Krause,
I taught before I became a Momma, and what I saw in a private Christian school (a WONDERFUL school, btw) was not what I want for my children.

And now that the monster is here, he definitely has the personality for home schooling.

Every morning he wakes up, comes into our room, and asks, "Mommy, is today a School day, or a stay at home day?" If it is a stay at home day, it takes a bit to convince him it will be a good day. That at THREE.

Maybe my heart will change as he gets older. Maybe not. I'm getting a positive vibe, though, from those that have gone before me!

Shannon, Thanks for your input! Your heart sounds just like mine when it comes to spending time with our kiddos and getting them what they need individually. Any advice you have for this newbie would be appreciated! And welcome to my blog!

Swizz said...

Another reason I want to homeschool:

4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. [2] 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. (Deuteronomy 6:4-7 ESV)