Custom Search

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

To Secede or Not to Secede...




Gov. Rick Perry: Texas Could Secede, Leave Union


AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry fired up an anti-tax "tea party" Wednesday with his stance against the federal government and for states' rights as some in his U.S. flag-waving audience shouted, "Secede!"

An animated Perry told the crowd at Austin City Hall -- one of three tea parties he was attending across the state -- that officials in Washington have abandoned the country's founding principles of limited government. He said the federal government is strangling Americans with taxation, spending and debt.

Perry repeated his running theme that Texas' economy is in relatively good shape compared with other states and with the "federal budget mess."

Being a Texan (once a Texan, always a Texan!) I'm not inclined to disagree with the THOUGHT of seceding. We have the right. But, does that mean it's something we should actually do?

I never thought I'd be so frustrated with where America is heading. Being called "un-American" or a TERRORIST because I disagree with the ideology of those currently in power has made me stop and think, though. Is this how I want MY country run? I'm a socially responsible person. My husband does first hand work with major non-profit SOCIAL organizations...yet because I do not agree that the government is the best option for where my money should go to help people, now I'm somehow less sympathetic or empathetic to those without?

Because I do not think that socialized healthcare is the answer, now I am selfish...this being said by someone who is so young they haven't lived long enough to figure out that Utopia does not and can never exist. This individual actually said that those people that HAVE (if you aren't poor) should be willing to accept poor healthcare just so others can have better healthcare. Huh?!? I need MY standard of healthcare to fall so others can have better healthcare than me? When they aren't paying for it?

Is this the same reasoning we use when we punish an entire classroom of children for the behavior of one or two students? Or fail an entire project because one person wouldn't do their part? Do I deserve the same pay rate as someone who put in 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, 3 years of residency, and possibly 2 or more years of a fellowship? Really!?!

This world has turned topsy turvey in my mind. I was trying very hard to take my head out of the sand and become more involved in current news and events. I don't think I can do it anymore, though. It gives me a headache.



Maybe my coping mechanisms were better than I thought!

3 comments:

Pamela said...

Oh how true - I must say I stand alone with these sentiments in California!

backwoods conservative said...

I've heard about Texas supposed right to secede, but I don't really buy it. I do know there are some pretty good arguments against it. In any case, any state that wanted to secede would have to be prepared to back it up with firepower. History has shown that.

You make a good point about charity. The liberals have chosen the most inefficient tool they could use. Government doesn't really do anything very efficiently.

So why don't they put their efforts into charity rather than government? It's simple.

The Democrats' promises of charity aren't really about charity. It's about getting votes. Studies have shown that voluntary charitable giving by liberals lags far behind that of conservatives. The Democrats are real happy to give money away, as long as they can reach into somebody else's pocket to get it. Also, their notions of taxing the rich to improve poor people's financial condition doesn't hold up mathematically. There simply isn't enough wealth available to make everyone rich. Take a CEO's salary and divide it by the number of people working for him, and you will see that it wouldn't raise the average worker's salary very much.

I'm sorry, but you can't stick your head in the sand any longer. That just leads to more headaches. It frees the elected officials to keep doing the things they've been doing, knowing the people won't be paying attention. What is shocking our elected officials now is that so many people are waking up and paying attention, and they're making it very clear they will not put up with the reckless and irresponsible actions that are causing such alarm. I'm hoping the groundswell of voter anger that we're seeing leads to a new era of voter involvement, in which people will pay attention to what's going on with government intead of sitting back and just assuming that all is well.

Swizz said...

I PROMISE I won't really stick my head in the sand. I'm just so frustrated...and thinking that my government is capable of crazy things, things that I don't agree with in the slightest, makes me want to be ignorant. Or move to Australia or Switzerland or someplace beautiful where I CAN be ignorant.

I won't be someone who does nothing and then complains, though. Nope. Not me.