Custom Search

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Colonial Golf Tournament

Growing up, my family had a tradition of attending the Colonial Golf Tournament.

Every May we would pack our lunch, our chairs, our bug spray, our binoculars, and our badges, and head to Colonial Country Club.

Our parents had friends who lived 2 doors down from one of the entrances and they let us park in their driveway.  A sweet deal!

Right inside the gate was the 14th green.

Every year my parents and my mother's mother (Grandma) would sit under a tree right there at the 14th green.

The tree was great for shade (remember, it was May in TEXAS!).

It was also great to warn of stray balls.  
You could hear them crashing through the branches and leaves and it gave you time to duck!

Us kids would sit there with our parents and Grandma until we were so antsy we couldn't stand it.

Then we'd wander the course.

Or follow a golfer.

This year my brother-in-law Chris is getting to attend the tournament.

He took a picture of "the tree".

It will always remind me of my grandmother, my parents, and my childhood.

2 comments:

Patterico said...

Great post. Let me go link this now.

ThatsBaloney said...

I hate to tell you that this sounds like my worst day ever. :)
Being married to a golfer has made me hate, hate, hate everything golf.